Club Deoxys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Club Deoxys! This forum is dedicated to Pokemon Battling, trading, and roleplaying! All are welcome to join!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Join the Club Deoxys Official Opening tournament today in the Tournaments section!
Welcome to the forum CrossBunnE, our newest member!

Steelix; a thought experiment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Professor Toron
Pokemon Professor
Professor Toron

Steelix; a thought experiment  Empty
PostSubject: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 8:10 am

So, I was playing Pokemon the other day, and I was EV training my Steelix, when I noticed something odd about his animation. A few scales behind his head (just before those weird arm things, when he's doing his thing, the rock right there slides off of his neck rock (this would be a lot easier to explain with a picture, but I'm on my phone. Computer probs). Basically, it looks like his head and neck aren't attached to his body. 

So, this is the question; is steelix really attached to his rocks, or are they held on magnetically? If the latter, then how does it survive if it's only technically a head? 

I'm assuming here that this was the intent of the artists, not a mistake in the animation.
Back to top Go down
https://clubdeoxys.forumotion.com
Red
The Man, the myth, the legend
Red

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 9:15 am

Steelix is made of steel correct? Onix was made of Rock, right? This could lead to the idea that Steelix and Onix are more mineral than animal, therefor it could keep itself running just by absorbing minerals straight from the ground.
Back to top Go down
Shadlos
Preschooler

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 9:32 am

This reminds me of Uragaan from Monster Hunter, who also eats minerals.
but on the topic of Steelix: In the human anatomy there is a kind of bone to bone joint called a "ball and socket joint" which is the strongest connection joint in the body. Ball-and-socket joints include the upper arms attaching to the main part of the body, and the upper leg bone attaching to the hip. I suspect Steelix's body parts are held together by a similar manner, and instead of connective tissue, it uses light magnetism generated by it's own body. (notice in all pkmn games he's normally writhing somehow, onix not so much.)

But having seen Steelix in Pokemon Stadium 2, and Pokemon Battle Arena (Whatever the diamond/pearl one that came out for the wii was called), i have slight doubts on my theory.
Back to top Go down
Professor Toron
Pokemon Professor
Professor Toron

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

I never thought of that shadlos. That's a pretty good idea. Though I didn't think ball and socket joints could rotate that way. Wouldnt they basically have to be sideways to achieve that dis connected look?
Back to top Go down
Shadlos
Preschooler

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Well, last time i tried you can swing your own arm in an almost complete circle, and it can also go up and down. Another good idea is the toy brand Magnetix. Take a steel ball, add a peg on each end. they both can be moved circular, and up and down. The joints in the Revoltech Rathalos figurine i got as an early birthday present are mainly "ball-and-socket joints". They allow the wings to pivot up and down, yet at the same time the legs (which have the same joint design) can also move as such, and go in-and-out if you wanted the wyvern to do splits or karate kicks. (i'd like to see a wyvern do THAT irl, lol)

Speaking of birthdays, mine is June 19th, next Wednesday, if im correct! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Triop5
Preschooler

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 4:09 pm

I looked at Steelix's animated sprite, and it looks like the first segment behind the head would look like it would be doing this in a top view:

O
Mad

O
Mad

Which makes it look like the head and the segment aren't really connected. But this could be explained if the head and first segment are connected by a simple hinge like a door hinge.
Back to top Go down
Shadlos
Preschooler

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Which hints to my ball and socket theory, which can be used to explain it. As i talk about this, i remember Steelix from Pokemon Stadium 2...i think my theory WOULD work if it's a ball and socket similar to an arm's....one part hiding another. Maybe one side is dented while the other has a small nub....get where i'm going with this?
Back to top Go down
Professor Toron
Pokemon Professor
Professor Toron

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Okay then. I suppose my question has been answered. Early happy birthday to Shadlos. How old are you going to be, if I may ask?
Back to top Go down
Shadlos
Preschooler

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 pm

I'll be 16 years old, and in the new school year i'll be a Junior in High School. Very Happy I'll be online that day. Speaking of my birthday...my best present? The earliest one...

TOMORROW I LEAVE FOR THE ATLANTIS RESORT IN THE BAHAMAS!!!

I'll be there until the 18th, the day right before my birthday. On the 18th i leave. I'll be able to be active from there (they have Pcs at a teen club to use for free). Plus i'ma have a swim with dolphins session, so YAY!
Back to top Go down
Professor Toron
Pokemon Professor
Professor Toron

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Awesome! A friend of mine is already down there in the Bahamas. Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about it if you don't have time to get on. I think a trip to the bahamas is a little more important than Club D.
Back to top Go down
Shadlos
Preschooler

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Indeed. And here's a little update: I'm at the airport right now waiting 4 my plane at the gate.

This is one of the worst parts....the anticipation. Then the anticipation of arriving....
Back to top Go down
Ultra
Magikarp Angler
Ultra

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 3:02 am

No, no, no. Isn't it obvious? When you EV train Steelix, he gets angry and his head falls off.
Back to top Go down
http://pokemonwars.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelix; a thought experiment    Steelix; a thought experiment  Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelix; a thought experiment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Club Deoxys  :: General Discussion :: General chat-
Jump to: